- constituting number five in a sequence; 5th；the fifth finisher or position in a race or competition
noun: fifth, plural noun: fifths
- 1. constituting number five in a sequence; 5th the fifth century her mother had just given birth to another child, her fifth
- ▪ the fifth finisher or position in a race or competition he finished fifth
- ▪ (in some vehicles) the fifth (and typically highest) in a sequence of gears in my panic I changed from third to fifth
- ▪ British the fifth form of a school or college.
- ▪ fifthly (used to introduce a fifth point or reason) fourth, it can aid the process of life review, and fifth, it is an enjoyable and stimulating experience
- ▪ an interval spanning five consecutive notes in a diatonic scale, in particular (also perfect fifth) an interval of three tones and a semitone (e.g. C to G) strings tuned a fifth apart
- ▪ the note which is higher by a fifth than the root of a diatonic scale.
- ▪ US informal a fifth of a gallon, as a measure of alcoholic drink, or a bottle of this capacity a fifth of whisky
- 2. each of five equal parts into which something is or may be divided.