- put someone or something into (a space or container) so that it is completely or almost completely full；become full of
- an amount of something which is as much as one wants or can bear；an amount of something which will occupy all the space in a container
noun: fill, plural noun: one's fills
- 1. put someone or something into (a space or container) so that it is completely or almost completely full:
I filled up the bottle with water
the office was filled with reporters
- 2. become full of:
Eleanor's eyes filled with tears
- 3. become an overwhelming presence in:
a pungent smell of garlic filled the air
- 4. cause (someone) to have an intense experience of an emotion or feeling:
his presence filled us with foreboding
- 5. appoint a person to hold (a vacant position):
the number of high-tech jobs and the people who can fill them
- 6. hold and perform the expected duties of (a position or role):
she fills the role of the “good” child
- 7. occupy or take up (a period of time):
the next few days were filled with meetings
- 8. be supplied with the items described in (a prescription or order):
she needed to fill a prescription
- 9. block up (a cavity in a tooth) with cement, amalgam, or gold.
- 10. (of a sail) curve out tautly as the wind blows into it.
- 11. (of a weather system) increase in barometric pressure.
- 12. (of the wind) blow into (a sail), causing it to curve outward.
- 13. (in poker) complete (a good hand) by drawing the necessary cards.
- 1. an amount of something which is as much as one wants or can bear:
we have eaten our fill
I've had my fill of surprises for one day
- 2. an amount of something which will occupy all the space in a container:
a fill of tobacco
- 3. material, typically loose or compacted, which fills a space, especially in building or engineering work:
loose polystyrene fill
- 4. the action of filling something, especially of shading in a region of a computer graphics display.
- 5. (in popular music) a short interjected phrase on a particular instrument.
Q: Fill in & Fill out都有---"...當作 "填寫" 之意時, "fill in" 和 "fill out" 皆可... (語意學上而言), "fill in" 意指要填寫的東西是較小的...
to ｆｉｌｌ ｏｕｔ = to complete 「填寫」 英文解釋：said of blanks...副詞，表『完全地』之意 若以一般名詞作受詞時 可至於 out 之前或之後 如 to fill out the form 或 to fill it out 都可以 但若是代名詞，才要放在 out 之前 如 to...
fill in the box with correct answer:將正確答案填入框框內 fill out the form: <有complete的意思>(完成)填寫表格 通常在書上你...