- a porous device for removing impurities or solid particles from a liquid or gas passed through it；short for filter tip
- pass (a liquid, gas, light, or sound) through a device to remove unwanted material；process or assess (items) in order to reject those that are unwanted
verb: filter, 3rd person present: filters, gerund or present participle: filtering, past tense: filtered, past participle: filtered
noun: filter, plural noun: filters
- 1. a porous device for removing impurities or solid particles from a liquid or gas passed through it an oil filter
- ▪ short for filter tip
- ▪ a screen, plate, or layer of a substance which absorbs light or other radiation or selectively absorbs some of its components filters can be used in photography to reduce haze
- ▪ a device for suppressing electrical or sound waves of frequencies not required.
- ▪ (in image-editing software) a function used to alter the overall appearance of an image in a specific manner many other apps also offer filters for enhancing photos
- ▪ a piece of software that processes text, for example to remove unwanted spaces or to format it for use in another application.
- 2. British an arrangement whereby vehicles may turn left (or right) while other traffic waiting to go straight ahead or turn right (or left) is stopped by a red light a filter lane
- 1. pass (a liquid, gas, light, or sound) through a device to remove unwanted material the patient is hooked up to a dialysis machine twice a week to filter out the cholesterol in the blood 同義詞 sieve, strain, sift, filtrate, riddle, ... 更多
- ▪ process or assess (items) in order to reject those that are unwanted you'll be put through to a secretary whose job it is to filter calls the brain has the ability to filter out information it considers non-essential
- ▪ process or treat with a filter.
- ▪ move slowly or in small quantities or numbers through something or in a specified direction people filtered out of the concert during the last set 同義詞 seep, percolate, leak, trickle, ooze, ... 更多
- ▪ (of information) gradually become known the news began to filter in from the hospital