- coming before all others in time or order; earliest; 1st；never previously done or occurring
noun: first, plural noun: firsts
- 1. coming before all others in time or order; earliest; 1st his first wife the first of five daughters 同義詞 反義詞
- ▪ never previously done or occurring her first day at school
- ▪ coming next after a specified or implied time or occurrence I didn't take the first bus
- ▪ met with or encountered before any others the first house I came to
- ▪ originally many valuable drugs have been recognized first as poisons
- ▪ before doing something else specified or implied Do you mind if I take a shower first? 同義詞 反義詞
- ▪ for the first time she first picked up a guitar out of sheer boredom
- ▪ firstly; in the first place (used to introduce a first point or reason) first, it is wrong that the victims should have no remedy
- ▪ in preference; rather (used when strongly rejecting a suggestion or possibility) she longed to go abroad, but not at this man's expense—she'd die first! 同義詞
- ▪ informal the first occurrence of something notable we traveled by air, a first for both of us 同義詞
- ▪ the first in a sequence of a vehicle's gears he stuck the car in first and revved
- ▪ first base he made it all the way home from first
- ▪ British the first grade of a school.
- ▪ a first edition of a book collectors of modern firsts
- 2. foremost in position, rank, or importance the doctor's first duty is to respect this right I always put myself first 同義詞 反義詞
- ▪ the most likely, pressing, or suitable he is the first to admit he was not the best of patients his first problem is where to live
- ▪ the first finisher or position in a race or competition.
- ▪ performing the highest or chief of two or more parts for the same instrument or voice the first violins
- ▪ British a place in the top grade in an examination, especially that for a degree he took a first in Classics
- ▪ British a person having achieved a top grade in an examination.
- ▪ goods of the best quality factory firsts, seconds, and discontinued styles
- 3. with a specified part or person in a leading position it plunged nose first into the river