- fasten (something) securely in a particular place or position；direct one's eyes, mind, or attention steadily or unwaveringly toward
- a difficult or awkward situation from which it is hard to extricate oneself; a predicament；a dose of a narcotic drug to which one is addicted
noun: fix, plural noun: fixes
verb: fix, 3rd person present: fixes, gerund or present participle: fixing, past tense: fixed, past participle: fixed
- 1. fasten (something) securely in a particular place or position:
fix the clamp on a rail
the upper jaw of an amphibian is firmly fixed to the skull
- 2. direct one's eyes, mind, or attention steadily or unwaveringly toward:
I fixed my attention on the tower
- 3. (of a person's eyes, attention, or mind) be directed steadily or unwaveringly toward:
her gaze fixed on Jess
- 4. look at someone unwaveringly:
she fixed her nephew with an unwavering stare
- 5. decide or settle on (a specific price, date, course of action, etc.):
no date has yet been fixed for a hearing
the rent will be fixed at $600 a month
- 6. establish the exact location of (something) by using radar or visual bearings or astronomical observation:
having made landfall, he fixed his position
- 7. settle the form of (a language).
- 8. assign or determine (a person's liability or responsibility) for legal purposes:
there are no facts that fix the defendant with liability
- 9. mend or repair:
you should fix that shelf
- 10. do the necessary work to improve or adapt something:
we want to fix up the house before we sell it
- 11. restore order or tidiness to (something, especially one's hair, clothes, or makeup):
Laura was fixing her hair
- 12. make arrangements for (something); organize:
I've fixed it for you to see him on Thursday
he's sent her on ahead to fix things up
- 13. arrange for someone to have something; provide someone with something:
I'll fix you up with a room
- 14. arrange for someone to meet or go out with someone in order to help them establish a romantic relationship.
- 15. prepare or arrange for the provision of (food or drink):
Ruth fixed herself a cold drink
they were fixing him breakfast
- 16. be intending or planning to do something:
you're fixing to get into trouble
- 17. make (a dye, photographic image, or drawing) permanent:
he perfected a process of fixing a photographic likeness on a silver plate
- 18. preserve or stabilize (a specimen) with a chemical substance prior to microscopy or other examination:
specimens were fixed in buffered formalin
- 19. (of a plant or microorganism) assimilate (nitrogen or carbon dioxide) by forming a nongaseous compound:
lupins fix gaseous nitrogen in their root nodules
- 20. influence the outcome of (something, especially a race, contest, or election) by illegal or underhanded means:
the foundation denies fixing races
- 21. put (an enemy or rival) out of action, especially by killing them:
don't you tell nobody, or I'll fix you good!
- 22. take an injection of a narcotic drug.
- 23. castrate or spay (an animal); neuter.
- 1. a difficult or awkward situation from which it is hard to extricate oneself; a predicament:
how on earth did you get into such a fix?
- 2. a dose of a narcotic drug to which one is addicted:
he hadn't had his fix
- 3. a thing or activity that gives a person a feeling of euphoria or pleasure and that it is difficult to do without:
that rush of adrenaline that is the fix of the professional newsman
- 4. a measure taken to resolve a problem or correct a mistake; a solution or remedy:
the company is working on a fix but suggests users consider technical workarounds in the meantime
representatives trying to find cheap fixes to meet their obligations
- 5. a position determined by visual or radio bearings or astronomical observations:
the radio operator received the distress call and calculated the fix
- 6. a dishonest or underhanded arrangement:
obviously, his appointment was a fix
就是做晚餐的意思，以下是fix的說明： 1. What are...千變萬化, 例如在美國南方, 大家習慣用 fix 來代替 cook 或是 make, 例如 A...意思, 只是好玩而已.) 5. Can you fix mine? 妳能不能幫我撿一下...
...電信網路（就是電話線路啦），包括骨幹網路，都會網路以及區域網路，因此"fixed local and mobile networks"就是"fixed local networks...
...聲音但會做動作，故如規則 2 ，惟會比較不清楚。 2009-03-29 11:36:25 補充： fixing 的發音請聽 http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/fixing