- smooth and even; without marked lumps or indentations；(of land) without hills
- in or to a horizontal position；lying in close juxtaposition, especially against another surface
- the flat part of something；an area of low level ground, especially near water
- lower (a note) by a semitone；make flat; flatten
noun: flat, plural noun: flats
verb: flat, 3rd person present: flats, gerund or present participle: flatting, past tense: flatted, past participle: flatted
- 1. smooth and even; without marked lumps or indentations:
trim the surface of the cake to make it completely flat
a flat wall
- 2. (of land) without hills:
thirty-five acres of flat countryside
- 3. (of an expanse of water) calm and without waves.
- 4. not sloping:
the flat roof of a garage
- 5. having a broad level surface but little height or depth; shallow:
a flat rectangular box
a flat cap
- 6. (of the foot) having an arch that is lower than usual.
- 7. (of shoes) without heels or with very low heels.
- 8. lacking interest or emotion; dull and lifeless:
“I'm sorry,” he said, in a flat voice
her drawings were flat and unimaginative
- 9. (of a person) without energy; dispirited:
his sense of intoxication wore off until he felt flat and weary
- 10. (of a market, prices, etc.) showing little activity; sluggish:
cash flow was flat at $214 million
flat sales in the drinks industry
- 11. (of a color) uniform:
the dress was a deadly, flat shade of gray
- 12. (of a photographic print or negative) lacking contrast.
- 13. (of paint) without gloss; matte.
- 14. (of a sparkling drink) having lost its effervescence:
- 15. (of something kept inflated, especially a tire) having lost some or all of its air, typically because of a puncture:
you've got a flat tire
- 16. (of a fee, wage, or price) the same in all cases, not varying with changed conditions or in particular cases:
a $30 flat fare
- 17. (of a denial, contradiction, or refusal) completely definite and firm; absolute:
his statement was a flat denial that he had misbehaved
- 18. (of musical sound) below true or normal pitch.
- 19. (of a key) having a flat or flats in the signature.
- 20. (of a note) a semitone lower than a specified note:
the double basses' opening low E-flat
you never have to change key from B-flat major
- 21. relating to flat racing:
the Flat season
- 1. in or to a horizontal position:
he was lying flat on his back
she had been knocked flat by the blast
- 2. lying in close juxtaposition, especially against another surface:
his black curly hair was blown flat across his skull
- 3. so as to become smooth and even:
I hammered the metal flat
- 4. completely; absolutely:
I'm turning you down flat
she was going to be flat broke in a couple of days
- 5. after a phrase expressing a period of time to emphasize how quickly something can be done or has been done:
you can prepare a healthy meal in ten minutes flat
- 6. below the true or normal pitch of musical sound:
it wasn't a question of singing flat, but of simply singing the wrong notes
- 1. the flat part of something:
she placed the flat of her hand over her glass
- 2. an area of low level ground, especially near water:
the Utah salt flats
- 3. a shallow container in which seedlings are grown and sold.
- 4. a shoe with a very low heel or no heel:
she wore a white strapless dress and a pair of electric blue flats
- 5. a railroad car with a flat floor and no sides or roof; a flatcar.
- 6. an upright section of painted stage scenery mounted on a frame.
- 7. a flat tire:
I've got a flat—there were nails under the wheel
- 8. a musical note lowered a semitone below natural pitch.
- 9. the sign ♭, indicating a flat.
- 1. lower (a note) by a semitone:
when a person has a poor ear for music, he will flat and sharp right along without knowing it
- 2. make flat; flatten:
flat the loaves down
凡是表面平坦的蛋糕都可被成為 flat cakes. 像普通cheese cakes, birthday cakes, or even pancakes...s1600/IMG_0858.JPG basically it's any cake that has a flat surface.
flat~形容詞~均一的,一律的 rate~名詞~費用,價格 flat rate~無論你停多久，費用都是7元 2007-10-17 09:17:04 補充： What's ”Flat Rate” mean? 建議改成 What does ”Flat Rate” mean?
flat tire 就是爆胎的意思。 flat 是扁 tire 是輪胎 所以就是爆胎