- smooth and even; without marked lumps or indentations；(of land) without hills
- in or to a horizontal position；lying in close juxtaposition, especially against another surface
- the flat part of something；an area of low level ground, especially near water
- lower (a note) by a semitone；make flat; flatten
noun: flat, plural noun: flats
verb: flat, 3rd person present: flats, gerund or present participle: flatting, past tense: flatted, past participle: flatted
- 1. smooth and even; without marked lumps or indentations trim the surface of the cake to make it completely flat a flat wall 同義詞 反義詞
- ▪ (of land) without hills thirty-five acres of flat countryside
- ▪ (of an expanse of water) calm and without waves. 同義詞 反義詞
- ▪ not sloping the flat roof of a garage 同義詞 反義詞
- ▪ having a broad level surface but little height or depth; shallow a flat rectangular box a flat cap 同義詞 反義詞
- ▪ (of the foot) having an arch that is lower than usual.
- ▪ (of shoes) without heels or with very low heels. 同義詞 反義詞
- 2. lacking interest or emotion; dull and lifeless “I'm sorry,” he said, in a flat voice her drawings were flat and unimaginative 同義詞 反義詞
- ▪ (of a person) without energy; dispirited his sense of intoxication wore off until he felt flat and weary 同義詞 反義詞
- ▪ (of a market, prices, etc.) showing little activity; sluggish cash flow was flat at $214 million flat sales in the drinks industry 同義詞 反義詞
- ▪ (of a color) uniform the dress was a deadly, flat shade of gray
- ▪ (of a photographic print or negative) lacking contrast.
- ▪ US (of paint) without gloss; matte.
- 3. (of a sparkling drink) having lost its effervescence flat champagne 同義詞 反義詞
- ▪ (of something kept inflated, especially a tire) having lost some or all of its air, typically because of a puncture you've got a flat tire 同義詞 反義詞
- 4. (of a fee, wage, or price) the same in all cases, not varying with changed conditions or in particular cases a $30 flat fare 同義詞
- ▪ (of a denial, contradiction, or refusal) completely definite and firm; absolute his statement was a flat denial that he had misbehaved 同義詞
- 5. (of musical sound) below true or normal pitch.
- ▪ (of a key) having a flat or flats in the signature.
- ▪ (of a note) a semitone lower than a specified note the double basses' opening low E-flat you never have to change key from B-flat major
- 6. relating to flat racing the Flat season
- 1. in or to a horizontal position he was lying flat on his back she had been knocked flat by the blast 同義詞
- ▪ lying in close juxtaposition, especially against another surface his black curly hair was blown flat across his skull
- ▪ so as to become smooth and even I hammered the metal flat
- 2. informal completely; absolutely I'm turning you down flat she was going to be flat broke in a couple of days 同義詞
- ▪ after a phrase expressing a period of time to emphasize how quickly something can be done or has been done you can prepare a healthy meal in ten minutes flat
- 3. below the true or normal pitch of musical sound it wasn't a question of singing flat, but of simply singing the wrong notes
- 1. the flat part of something she placed the flat of her hand over her glass
- ▪ an area of low level ground, especially near water the Utah salt flats
- ▪ North American a shallow container in which seedlings are grown and sold.
- ▪ a shoe with a very low heel or no heel she wore a white strapless dress and a pair of electric blue flats
- ▪ a railroad car with a flat floor and no sides or roof; a flatcar.
- 2. an upright section of painted stage scenery mounted on a frame.
- 3. North American informal a flat tire I've got a flat—there were nails under the wheel
- 4. a musical note lowered a semitone below natural pitch.
- ▪ the sign ♭, indicating a flat.
- 1. North American lower (a note) by a semitone when a person has a poor ear for music, he will flat and sharp right along without knowing it
- 2. archaic make flat; flatten flat the loaves down
凡是表面平坦的蛋糕都可被成為 flat cakes. 像普通cheese cakes, birthday cakes, or even pancakes...s1600/IMG_0858.JPG basically it's any cake that has a flat surface.
flat~形容詞~均一的,一律的 rate~名詞~費用,價格 flat rate~無論你停多久，費用都是7元 2007-10-17 09:17:04 補充： What's ”Flat Rate” mean? 建議改成 What does ”Flat Rate” mean?
根據國立編譯館的翻譯，flat knit 為橫編組織或橫編織物，一般口語化是叫做"橫紋"，像 flat-knit T-shirt 就是橫紋汗杉。