- the centre of interest or activity；an act of concentrating interest or activity on something
- adapt to the prevailing level of light and become able to see clearly；cause (one's eyes) to focus
verb: focus, 3rd person present: focuses, gerund or present participle: focusing, past tense: focused, past participle: focused
noun: focus, plural noun: foci
- 1. the centre of interest or activity this generation has made the environment a focus of attention 同義詞
- ▪ an act of concentrating interest or activity on something our focus on the customer's requirements 同義詞
- ▪ the point of origin of an earthquake.
- ▪ the principal site of an infection or other disease.
- 2. the state or quality of having or producing clear visual definition his face is rather out of focus the incident brought her feelings for Alexander sharply into focus 同義詞
- ▪ another term for focal point
- ▪ the point at which an object must be situated with respect to a lens or mirror for an image of it to be well defined.
- ▪ a device on a lens which can be adjusted to produce a clear image.
- 3. one of the fixed points from which the distances to any point of a given curve, such as an ellipse or parabola, are connected by a linear relation.
- 4. an element of a sentence that is given prominence by intonational or other means.
- 1. adapt to the prevailing level of light and become able to see clearly try to focus on a stationary object
- ▪ cause (one's eyes) to focus she focused her eyes on his face
- ▪ adjust the focus of (a telescope, camera, or other instrument) they were focusing a telescope on a star 同義詞
- ▪ (of rays or waves) meet at a single point.
- ▪ (of a lens) make (rays or waves) meet at a single point.
- ▪ (of light, radio waves, or other energy) become concentrated into a sharp beam.
- ▪ (of a lens) concentrate (light, radio waves, or energy) into a sharp beam. 同義詞
- 2. pay particular attention to the study will focus on a number of areas in Wales
- ▪ concentrate an opportunity to focus research on the health needs of the population 同義詞
- 3. place the focus on (an element of a sentence).