- the lower extremity of the leg below the ankle, on which a person stands or walks.；a corresponding part of the leg in vertebrate animals.
- cover a distance, especially a long one, on foot；dance
noun: foot, plural noun: feet
- 1. the lower extremity of the leg below the ankle, on which a person stands or walks. 同義詞
- ▪ a corresponding part of the leg in vertebrate animals. 同義詞
- ▪ a locomotory or adhesive organ of an invertebrate.
- ▪ the part of a sock, stocking, etc. that covers the foot.
- ▪ West Indian a person's body below the torso, including the entire leg and the foot.
- ▪ literary a person's manner or speed of walking or running fleet of foot
- ▪ British historical, formal infantry; foot soldiers a captain of foot
- 2. a projecting part on which a piece of furniture or each of its legs stands.
- ▪ a device on a sewing machine for holding the material steady as it is sewn.
- ▪ the part by which a petal is attached.
- 3. the lower or lowest part of something; the base or bottom the foot of the stairs complete the form at the foot of the page 同義詞
- ▪ the end of a table that is furthest from where the host sits.
- ▪ the end of a bed, couch, or grave where the occupant's feet normally rest.
- ▪ the lower edge of a sail.
- 4. a unit of linear measure equal to 12 inches (30.48 cm) shallow water no more than a foot deep he's about six feet tall
- ▪ a unit used in describing a set of organ pipes according to its pitch, the designation being the length of one particular pipe an 8-foot reed stop
- ▪ a unit used in describing a set of harpsichord strings playing at the same pitch as a set of organ pipes of the same designation the 16-foot register
- 5. a group of syllables constituting a metrical unit. In English poetry it consists of stressed and unstressed syllables, while in ancient classical poetry it consists of long and short syllables.
- 1. informal cover a distance, especially a long one, on foot the rider was left to foot it ten or twelve miles back to camp
- ▪ informal dance the dance of fairies, footing it to the cricket's song
- at someone's feet
- be rushed off one's feet
- the boot is on the other foot
- feet of clay
- foot the bill
- get one's feet under the table
- get one's feet wet
- get off on the right foot
- get off on the wrong foot
- have something at one's feet
- have one's feet on the ground
- have a foot in both camps
- have a foot in the door
- have one foot in the grave
- hold someone's feet to the fire
- keep one's feet on the ground
- my foot!
- off one's feet
- on one's feet
- on foot
- on the back foot
- on foot of
- on the front foot
- put one's best foot forward
- put one's feet up
- put foot
- put one's foot down
- put one's foot in it
- put a foot wrong
- set foot in
- set something on foot
- sweep someone off their feet
- think on one's feet
- to one's feet
- under one's feet
- under foot
feet是foot的複數形。 He wiped... stamped their feet to keep warm. Mary slid her... was an error message at the foot of the page.本頁的底部以前有一個錯誤...
My foot is asleep的意思是﹁我的腳麻了﹂或﹁我的腳失去...時間不調整姿勢，隨著血液不流通與壓迫神經傳導，自己的腳就會麻痺。My foot is asleep不能直譯為我的腳睡著了，而是翻成較口語化的我的腳麻了或...
...: In Standard English, foot and feet have their own rules when...mile in place of Standard English three feet and five miles in certain contexts. ...