- 1. 停止 Give over that shouting! 別那麼大聲叫嚷!
- 2. 交托 The keys were given over to our neighbors during our absence. 我們不在家時, 鑰匙交給鄰居保管。
- 3. 送交 We gave him over to the police. 我們把他送交警方。
- 【口】粗略檢查或察看某人/某事物 Before buying the car he gave it the once-over. 他買那輛車前曾草草看了一下。 She felt his parents were giving her the once-over. 她感到他父母打量著她。
- 【口】(尤用於祈使句或與動詞ing形式連用)停止做某事 Give over, can't you? I can't work with you chattering away like that. 到此為止吧, 行嗎?你這樣聊下去我就沒法工作了。 Give over complaining! 別發牢騷了!
- 沈溺於(某種狀態); 完全獻身於某事物 After his wife's death, he seemed to give himself over to despair. 他妻子死後, 似乎萬念俱灰。 In her later years she gave herself over to writing full-time. 她晚年專事寫作。
- (通常用於被動語態)專為某事而使用某物 The village hall is given over to civic functions and meetings. 村子的禮堂專作舉行慶典和會議之用。 The period after supper was given over to games. 晚飯後是遊戲時間。
...quot;前設/前題是以下" 這句的不完整句其實是主題是 its influence over the entertainment industry 它對娛樂事業的影響力 加上Given便可翻譯作 (就著)由於它對娛樂事業的影響力, ... 應該是有下半句/後句的吧...
1. I want a banquet.... 2. Please cook beans, my mother likes them. 3. We can't roast the turkey over the fire because it's raining.
... finally got through the work yesterday. 我們昨天終於完成了這項工作 6. give over停止 The rain gave over. 雨停了. 7. give out (a)用完；用盡。(b...