- the elected executive head of a state of the US.；an official appointed to govern a town or region.
noun: governor, plural noun: governors
- 1. the elected executive head of a state of the US.
- ▪ an official appointed to govern a town or region.
- ▪ the representative of the British Crown in a colony or in a Commonwealth state that regards the monarch as head of state.
- 2. British the head of a public institution the governor of the Bank of England
- ▪ a member of a governing body.
- 3. British informal the person in authority; one's employer.
- 4. a device automatically regulating the supply of fuel, steam, or water to a machine, ensuring uniform motion or limiting speed.