- wheat or any other cultivated cereal used as food.；the seeds of wheat or other cultivated cereals.
- give a rough surface or texture to；form into grains
verb: grain, 3rd person present: grains, gerund or present participle: graining, past tense: grained, past participle: grained
noun: grain, plural noun: grains
- 1. wheat or any other cultivated cereal used as food. 同義詞
- ▪ the seeds of wheat or other cultivated cereals.
- 2. a single fruit or seed of a cereal a few grains of corn 同義詞
- ▪ a small hard particle of a substance such as salt or sand a grain of salt 同義詞
- ▪ the smallest possible quantity or amount of a quality there wasn't a grain of truth in what he said 同義詞
- ▪ a discrete particle or crystal in a metal, igneous rock, etc., typically visible only when a surface is magnified.
- ▪ a piece of solid propellant for use in a rocket engine.
- 3. the smallest unit of weight in the troy and avoirdupois systems, equal to 1/5760 of a pound troy and 1/7000 of a pound avoirdupois (approximately 0.0648 gram).
- 4. the longitudinal arrangement or pattern of fibres in wood, paper, etc. he scored along the grain of the table with the knife 同義詞
- ▪ the texture of wood, stone, etc., as determined by the arrangement and size of constituent particles the lighter, finer grain of the wood is attractive
- ▪ the rough or wrinkled outer surface of leather, or of a similar artificial material.
- ▪ lamination or planes of cleavage in materials such as stone and coal.
- ▪ a grainy appearance of a photograph or negative, which is in proportion to the size of the emulsion particles composing it.
- 5. archaic a person's character or natural tendency.
- 6. historical kermes or cochineal, or dye made from either of these.
- 1. give a rough surface or texture to her fingers were grained with chalk dust
- ▪ form into grains if the sugar does grain up, add more water
- 2. paint (something, especially furniture or interior surfaces) in imitation of the grain of wood or marble what is the use of having natural wood when you can grain it like that?
- 3. remove hair from (a hide).
- 4. North American feed (a horse) on grain.