- of a colour intermediate between black and white, as of ashes or lead；(of the weather) cloudy and dull
- grey colour or pigment；grey clothes or material
- (especially of hair) become grey with age；(of a person) become older
noun: grey, plural noun: greys
- 1. of a colour intermediate between black and white, as of ashes or lead grey flannel trousers his hair was grey and wispy 同義詞 greyish, silvery, silver-grey, pearl-grey, pearly, ... 更多反義詞 ruddy
- ▪ (of the weather) cloudy and dull a cold, grey November day 同義詞 cloudy, overcast, dull, dim, dark, ... 更多反義詞 bright, sunny
- ▪ (of a person) having grey hair a grey, fatherly gentleman she's getting on a bit, and going grey 同義詞 grey-haired, hoary, grizzled, elderly, old, ... 更多反義詞 young
- ▪ informal relating to old people collectively grey power the grey market 同義詞 grey-haired, hoary, grizzled, elderly, old, ... 更多反義詞 young
- ▪ (of a person's face) pale, as through tiredness, age, or illness his face looked grey and drawn
- 2. without interest or character; dull and nondescript grey, faceless men the grey daily routine 同義詞 characterless, colourless, nondescript, unremarkable, faceless, ... 更多反義詞 colourful, lively
- 3. (of financial or trading activity) not accounted for in official statistics the grey economy 同義詞 unofficial, informal, irregular, back-door
- 4. South African historical relating to an ethnically mixed residential area a grey Cape Town suburb
- 1. grey colour or pigment dirty intermediate tones of grey
- ▪ grey clothes or material the man in grey
- ▪ grey hair he sighed at the amount of grey at his temple
- 2. a grey thing or animal, in particular a grey or white horse.
- 1. (especially of hair) become grey with age he had put on weight and greyed somewhat
- ▪ (of a person) become older the workforce is greying rapidly
- (especially of hair) becoming grey with age: a man with greying hair
- a dark grey colour.
- (of a person) having grey hair: a grey-headed old woman
- (of a horse) grey or white with rounded markings of a darker shade.
- a dapple-grey horse.
- the greyish gravid female of certain mayflies.
- the darker tissue of the brain and spinal cord, consisting mainly of nerve cell bodies and ...
- an unofficial market in goods that have not been obtained from an official supplier: you can easily get these phones on the grey market grey-market imports flooded the country to meet demand
- a dull bluish grey colour as used for warships: RMS Lancastria was commandeered for war and her sleek Cunard lines were lost under a coat of battleship grey
- a dark shade of grey, the regulation colour of the uniform of a German infantryman.