- a humorous or malicious deception
- trick or deceive (someone).
verb: hoax, 3rd person present: hoaxes, gerund or present participle: hoaxing, past tense: hoaxed, past participle: hoaxed
noun: hoax, plural noun: hoaxes
- 1. a humorous or malicious deception the evidence had been planted as part of an elaborate hoax a hoax 999 call
- 1. trick or deceive (someone).
- a phone call made to trick or deceive someone for humorous or malicious purposes: anybody who makes a hoax call to the emergency services is potentially risking lives
- a humorous or malicious deception: they recognized the plan as a hoax he was accused of making hoax calls
- deceive with a hoax.
Oxford American Dictionary