- raise (something) by means of ropes and pulleys；raise or haul up
- an act of raising or lifting something.；an apparatus for lifting or raising something
noun: hoist, plural noun: hoists
- 1. raise (something) by means of ropes and pulleys a white flag was hoisted
- ▪ raise or haul up she hoisted her backpack on to her shoulder
- 1. an act of raising or lifting something.
- ▪ an apparatus for lifting or raising something mechanical lifts or hoists for firefighting purposes
- ▪ an act of increasing something an interest rate hoist
- 2. the part of a flag nearest the staff.
- 3. a group of flags raised as a signal.