- a house, especially a farmhouse, and outbuildings.；the owner's residence on a sheep or cattle station.
noun: homestead, plural noun: homesteads
- 1. a house, especially a farmhouse, and outbuildings.
- ▪ Australian, New Zealand the owner's residence on a sheep or cattle station.
- ▪ South African a hut or cluster of huts occupied by one family or clan, standing alone or as part of a traditional African village.
- 2. North American historical an area of land (usually 160 acres) granted to a settler in the West as a home.