- having or showing compassion or benevolence；inflicting the minimum of pain
- 1. having or showing compassion or benevolence regulations ensuring the humane treatment of animals
- ▪ inflicting the minimum of pain humane methods of killing
- 2. formal (of a branch of learning) intended to have a civilizing effect on people the humane education of literary study
- an instrument for the painless slaughter of animals.
- having or showing compassion or benevolence: regulations ensuring the humane treatment of animals
Oxford American Dictionary