- a person who attacks cherished beliefs or institutions.；a destroyer of images used in religious worship.
noun: iconoclast, plural noun: iconoclasts
- 1. a person who attacks cherished beliefs or institutions.
- 2. a destroyer of images used in religious worship.
- ▪ historical a supporter of the 8th- and 9th-century movement in the Byzantine Church which sought to abolish the veneration of icons and other religious images.
- ▪ historical a Puritan of the 16th or 17th century.
- a person who attacks or criticizes cherished beliefs or institutions.