- make (something) visible or bright by shining light on it; light up；decorate (a building or structure) with lights for a special occasion.
verb: illuminate, 3rd person present: illuminates, gerund or present participle: illuminating, past tense: illuminated, past participle: illuminated
- 1. make (something) visible or bright by shining light on it; light up a flash of lightning illuminated the house his face was illuminated by a smile 同義詞 反義詞
- ▪ decorate (a building or structure) with lights for a special occasion.
- 2. help to clarify or explain placing the events of the 1930s in a broader historical context helps to illuminate their significance 同義詞 反義詞
- 3. decorate (a page or letter in a manuscript) by hand with gold, silver, or coloured designs this is a carefully written, large-format manuscript illuminated by Leonardo Bellini 同義詞