- not directly caused by or resulting from something；not done directly; conducted through intermediaries
- 1. not directly caused by or resulting from something full employment would have an indirect effect on wage levels 同義詞 反義詞
- ▪ not done directly; conducted through intermediaries local government under the indirect control of the British
- ▪ (of costs) deriving from overhead charges or subsidiary work hidden or indirect costs involved in training
- ▪ (of taxation) levied on goods and services rather than income or profits.
- 2. (of a route) not straight; not following the shortest way he took a careful, indirect route home from his dockside rendezvous 同義詞 反義詞
- ▪ (of lighting) from a concealed source and diffusely reflected fittings were installed to give a subdued, indirect light in the nave
- ▪ denoting a free kick from which a goal may not be scored directly.
- 3. avoiding direct mention or exposition of a subject an indirect attack on the Archbishop 同義詞