- write or carve (words or symbols) on something, especially as a formal or permanent record；mark (a surface or object) with characters
verb: inscribe, 3rd person present: inscribes, gerund or present participle: inscribing, past tense: inscribed, past participle: inscribed
- 1. write or carve (words or symbols) on something, especially as a formal or permanent record his name was inscribed on the new silver trophy 同義詞
- ▪ mark (a surface or object) with characters the memorial is inscribed with ten names 同義詞
- ▪ write a dedication to someone in (a book) he inscribed the first copy ‘To my dearest grandmother’ 同義詞
- ▪ archaic enter the name of (someone) on a list or in a book.
- 2. draw (a figure) within another so that their boundaries touch but do not intersect a regular polygon inscribed in a circle
- 3. British issue (loan stock) in the form of shares whose holders are listed in a register rather than issued with certificates the loan agents claimed a commission on inscribing the stock
- write or carve (words or symbols) on something, especially as a formal or permanent record: his name was inscribed on the new silver trophy
Oxford American Dictionary
...namely the so-called Babylonian demon bowls. These inscribed earthenware vessels were found in several sites in ...
...我們有把您的名字縮寫及結婚紀念日刻在對戒的內側的服務。」 We can inscribe your (name) initials and wedding anniversary on the inner rim of...
...例如刀、匕）刻劃、刻記在心上的感覺。 個人認為，可以採用以下三個單字：inscribe、engrave或是imprint。 其中inscribe和engrave中文是：雕刻、銘記，有那種『用工具...