- careful examination or scrutiny
noun: inspection, plural noun: inspections
- 1. careful examination or scrutiny on closer inspection it looked like a fossil please have your tickets ready for inspection
- a sunken area in the floor of a garage or workshop allowing access to a vehicle's underside: the garage is fitted with an inspection pit for car servicing
- a manhole sited at a junction or bend in a drain to allow clearance of blockages.
- a free specimen copy of a publication supplied, typically to a teacher, for purposes of evaluation: lecturers can request inspection copies of this title
- careful examination or scrutiny: on closer inspection it looked like a fossil please have your tickets ready for inspection