- an intervening period of time; an interval；a pause between the acts of a play.
noun: interlude, plural noun: interludes
- 1. an intervening period of time; an interval enjoying a lunchtime interlude
- ▪ a pause between the acts of a play.
- 2. a thing occurring or done during an interval.
- ▪ something performed during a theatre interval an orchestral interlude
- ▪ a piece of music played between other pieces or between the verses of a hymn short instrumental interludes between songs
- ▪ a temporary amusement or diversion that contrasts with what goes before or after the romantic interlude palled rapidly once he was back in town
- an intervening period of time: enjoying a lunchtime interlude
Oxford American Dictionary