- call on (a deity or spirit) in prayer, as a witness, or for inspiration.；summon (a spirit) by charms or incantation.
verb: invoke, 3rd person present: invokes, gerund or present participle: invoking, past tense: invoked, past participle: invoked
- 1. call on (a deity or spirit) in prayer, as a witness, or for inspiration. 同義詞 pray to, call on, appeal to, plead with, supplicate, ... 更多
- ▪ summon (a spirit) by charms or incantation. 同義詞 summon, call (up), bring, conjure (up)
- 2. cite or appeal to (someone or something) as an authority for an action or in support of an argument the antiquated defence of insanity is rarely invoked in England 同義詞 cite, refer to, adduce, instance, resort to, ... 更多反義詞 waive
- ▪ call earnestly for she invoked his help against this attack
- ▪ give rise to; evoke how could she explain how the accident happened without invoking his wrath? 同義詞 bring forth, bring on, elicit, induce, cause, ... 更多
- 3. cause (a procedure) to be carried out.