- wail in grief for a dead person；make an eerie wailing sound
- an Irish funeral song accompanied by wailing in lamentation for the dead.
verb: keen, 3rd person present: keens, gerund or present participle: keening, past tense: keened, past participle: keened
noun: keen, plural noun: keens
- 1. wail in grief for a dead person the body of Johnny was taken by his own people who keened over him
- ▪ make an eerie wailing sound the wind blew and wild birds keened in the sky
- 1. an Irish funeral song accompanied by wailing in lamentation for the dead.