- the edge of a knife.；(of creases or pleats in a garment) very fine
noun: knife-edge, plural noun: knife-edges
- 1. the edge of a knife.
- ▪ (of creases or pleats in a garment) very fine knife-edge creases
- ▪ a tense or uncertain situation, especially one finely balanced between success and failure they have been living on a knife edge since his libel action
- ▪ a steel wedge on which a pendulum or other device oscillates or is balanced.
- ▪ a narrow, sharp ridge; an arête.
- the edge of a knife.