- the system of rules which a particular country or community recognizes as regulating the actions of its members and which it may enforce by the imposition of penalties；an individual rule as part of a system of law
noun: law, plural noun: laws
- 1. the system of rules which a particular country or community recognizes as regulating the actions of its members and which it may enforce by the imposition of penalties shooting the birds is against the law they were taken to court for breaking the law 同義詞 反義詞
- ▪ an individual rule as part of a system of law a new law was passed to make divorce easier and simpler 同義詞
- ▪ systems of law as a subject of study or as the basis of the legal profession he was still practising law a law firm 同義詞
- ▪ statute law and the common law. 同義詞 反義詞
- ▪ something regarded as having binding force or effect he had supreme control—what he said was law
- ▪ informal the police he'd never been in trouble with the law in his life 同義詞
- 2. a rule defining correct procedure or behaviour in a sport the laws of the game 同義詞
- 3. a statement of fact, deduced from observation, to the effect that a particular natural or scientific phenomenon always occurs if certain conditions are present the second law of thermodynamics
- ▪ a generalization based on a fact or event perceived to be recurrent the first law of American corporate life is that dead wood floats
- 4. the body of divine commandments as expressed in the Bible or other religious texts. 同義詞
- ▪ the Pentateuch as distinct from the other parts of the Hebrew Bible (the Prophets and the Writings).
- ▪ the precepts of the Pentateuch.