- measuring a great distance from end to end；(after a measurement and in questions) measuring a specified distance from end to end
- a long interval or period；a long sound such as a long signal in Morse code or a long vowel or syllable
- for a long time；in questions about a period of time
noun: long, plural noun: longs
- 1. measuring a great distance from end to end a long corridor long black hair 同義詞 反義詞
- ▪ (after a measurement and in questions) measuring a specified distance from end to end a boat 150 feet long how long is the leash? 同義詞
- ▪ (of a journey) covering a great distance I went for a long walk
- ▪ (of a ball in sports) traveling a great distance, or further than expected or intended he threw a long ball to the catcher
- ▪ (of a garment or sleeves on a garment) covering the whole of a person's legs or arms a sweater with long sleeves
- ▪ of elongated shape shaped like a torpedo, long and thin
- ▪ informal (of a person) tall.
- 2. lasting or taking a great amount of time a long and distinguished career she took a long time to dress 同義詞 反義詞
- ▪ (after a noun of duration and in questions) lasting or taking a specified amount of time the debates will be 90 minutes long
- ▪ seeming to last more time than is the case; lengthy or tedious serving long hours on the committee
- ▪ (of a person's memory) retaining things for a great amount of time.
- 3. relatively great in extent write a long report a long list of candidates
- ▪ (after a noun of extent and in questions) having a specified extent the statement was three pages long
- 4. (of a vowel) categorized as long with regard to quality and length (e.g., in standard American English, the vowel /uː/ in food is long, as distinct from the short vowel /ʊ/ in good).
- ▪ (of a vowel or syllable) having the greater of the two recognized durations.
- 5. (of odds or a chance) reflecting or representing a low level of probability winning against long odds you're taking a long chance
- 6. (of shares, bonds, or other assets) bought in advance, with the expectation of a rise in price.
- ▪ (of a broker or their position in the market) buying or based on long stocks.
- ▪ (of a security) maturing at a distant date.
- 7. informal well-supplied with an industry that seems long on ideas but short on cash
- 1. a long interval or period see you before long it will not be for long
- 2. a long sound such as a long signal in Morse code or a long vowel or syllable two longs and a short
- 3. long-dated securities, especially gilt-edged securities.
- ▪ assets held in a long position.
- 1. for a long time we hadn't known them long an experience they will long remember
- ▪ in questions about a period of time how long have you been working?
- ▪ at a time distant from a specified event or point of time the work was compiled long after his death it was abandoned long ago
- ▪ after an implied point of time he could not wait any longer
- ▪ (after a noun of duration) throughout a specified period of time it rained all day long
- 2. (with reference to the ball in sports) at, to, or over a great distance, or further than expected or intended the quarterback dropped back and threw the ball long
- ▪ beyond the point aimed at; too far he threw the ball long
這裏 long 不是副詞哦 He arrived...修飾 動詞 arrived 同樣的 long before he reaches a red light 的...quot;Rocket Man". （Long = A long time） Long before...
long term longitudinal study >> 或可翻譯為"長期觀察同一族群(或人們)的研究... repeated observations of the same items over long periods of time — often many decades. It is a type...
Long the darling of science fiction aficionados, video chat has never much...經常在小說中閱讀到視訊對話，但是個人使用的電話一直不太流行使用視訊對話。 long = for an extended period of time 副詞使用；就是版主說的 for a long time...