- a covering for all or part of the face, worn as a disguise, or to amuse or frighten others.；a covering worn over the mouth and nose in order to reduce the transmission of infectious agents, or to prevent the inhalation of pollutants and other harmful substances.
- cover (the face) with a mask；conceal (something) from view
verb: mask, 3rd person present: masks, gerund or present participle: masking, past tense: masked, past participle: masked
noun: mask, plural noun: masks
- 1. a covering for all or part of the face, worn as a disguise, or to amuse or frighten others. 同義詞
- 2. a covering worn over the mouth and nose in order to reduce the transmission of infectious agents, or to prevent the inhalation of pollutants and other harmful substances. 同義詞
- ▪ a protective covering fitting over the whole face, worn in fencing, ice hockey, and other sports. 同義詞
- ▪ a respirator used to filter inhaled air or to supply gas for inhalation.
- ▪ archaic a masked person.
- 3. a face pack this exfoliating mask helps clear your pores and leaves your skin feeling soft and healthy
- 4. a likeness of a person's face moulded or sculpted in clay or wax.
- ▪ a person's face regarded as having set into a particular expression his face was a mask of rage
- ▪ a hollow model of a human head worn by ancient Greek and Roman actors.
- ▪ the face or head of a fox or other game animal, as a trophy.
- 5. a manner or expression that hides one's true character or feelings I let my mask of respectability slip 同義詞
- 6. a piece of material such as card used to cover a part of an image that is not required when exposing a print.
- 7. a patterned metal film used in the manufacture of microcircuits to allow selective modification of the underlying material.
- 8. the enlarged labium of a dragonfly larva, which can be extended to seize prey.
- 1. cover (the face) with a mask he had been masked, bound, and abducted
- 2. conceal (something) from view the poplars masked a factory
- ▪ (of a taste, smell, etc.) prevent the perception of (another sensation) brandy did not completely mask the bitter taste
- 3. cover (an object or surface) so as to protect it during painting mask off doors and cupboards with sheets of plastic 同義詞