- something that is difficult or impossible to understand or explain；the condition or quality of being secret, strange, or difficult to explain
noun: mystery, plural noun: mysteries
- 1. something that is difficult or impossible to understand or explain the mysteries of outer space hoping that the inquest would solve the mystery 同義詞
- ▪ the condition or quality of being secret, strange, or difficult to explain much of her past is shrouded in mystery 同義詞
- ▪ a person or thing whose identity or nature is puzzling or unknown “He's a bit of a mystery,” said Nina a mystery guest
- 2. a novel, play, or movie dealing with a puzzling crime, especially a murder the 1920s murder mystery, 同義詞
- 3. the secret rites of Greek and Roman pagan religion, or of any ancient or tribal religion, to which only initiates are admitted.
- ▪ the practices, skills, or lore peculiar to a particular trade or activity and regarded as baffling to those without specialized knowledge the mysteries of analytical psychology
- ▪ archaic the Christian Eucharist.
- 4. a religious belief based on divine revelation, especially one regarded as beyond human understanding the mystery of Christ
- ▪ an incident in the life of Jesus or of a saint as a focus of devotion in the Roman Catholic Church, especially each of those commemorated during recitation of successive decades of the rosary the first Sorrowful Mystery, the Agony in the Garden