- consisting in or characterized by the absence rather than the presence of distinguishing features.；(of a statement or decision) expressing or implying denial, disagreement, or refusal
- a word or statement that expresses denial, disagreement, or refusal；a bad, unwelcome, or unpleasant quality, characteristic, or aspect of a situation or person
- no (usually used in a military context)
- reject; refuse to accept; veto；disprove; contradict
verb: negative, 3rd person present: negatives, gerund or present participle: negativing, past tense: negatived, past participle: negatived
noun: negative, plural noun: negatives
- 1. consisting in or characterized by the absence rather than the presence of distinguishing features.
- ▪ (of a statement or decision) expressing or implying denial, disagreement, or refusal that, I take it, was a negative answer 同義詞 反義詞
- ▪ (of the results of a test or experiment) indicating that a certain substance or condition is not present or does not exist a negative test result
- ▪ (of a person) not having a specified condition or showing traces of a specified substance in their body so far all the patients have tested negative for TB HPV-negative
- ▪ US informal denoting a complete lack of something they were described as having negative vulnerability to water entry
- ▪ (of a word, clause, or proposition) expressing denial, negation, or refutation; stating or asserting that something is not the case.
- 2. (of a person, attitude, or situation) not desirable or optimistic the new tax was having a very negative effect on car sales not all the news is negative 同義詞 反義詞
- 3. (of a quantity) less than zero; to be subtracted from others or from zero.
- ▪ denoting a direction of decrease or reversal the industry suffered negative growth in 1992
- 4. of, containing, producing, or denoting the kind of electric charge carried by electrons.
- 5. (of a photographic image) showing light and shade or colors reversed from those of the original.
- 6. relating to or denoting any of the earth or water signs, considered passive in nature.
- 1. a word or statement that expresses denial, disagreement, or refusal she replied in the negative
- ▪ a bad, unwelcome, or unpleasant quality, characteristic, or aspect of a situation or person confidence will not be instilled by harping solely on the negative the bus trip and the positive media have not had time to turn his significant negatives around
- ▪ a word, affix, or phrase expressing negation.
- ▪ another term for negation
- 2. a photographic image made on film or specially prepared glass that shows the light and shade or color values reversed from the original, and from which positive prints can be made photographs and negatives should be supplied for enlargement purposes
- 3. a result of a test or experiment indicating that a certain substance is not present or a certain condition does not exist the percentage of false negatives generated by a cancer test was of great concern
- 4. the part of an electric circuit that is at a lower electrical potential than another part designated as having zero electrical potential.
- 5. a number less than zero.
- 1. no (usually used in a military context) “Any snags, Captain?” “Negative, she's running like clockwork.”
- 1. reject; refuse to accept; veto the bill was negatived by 130 votes to 129 同義詞 反義詞
- ▪ disprove; contradict the insurer's main arguments were negatived by Lawrence 同義詞 反義詞
- 2. render ineffective; neutralize should criminal law allow consent to negative what would otherwise be a crime? 同義詞