- a fruit consisting of a hard or tough shell around an edible kernel；the hard kernel of a nut.
- gather nuts；butt (someone) with one's head
verb: nut, 3rd person present: nuts, gerund or present participle: nutting, past tense: nutted, past participle: nutted
noun: nut, plural noun: nuts
- 1. a fruit consisting of a hard or tough shell around an edible kernel he was cracking nuts with his teeth
- ▪ the hard kernel of a nut.
- 2. a small flat piece of metal or other material, typically square or hexagonal, with a threaded hole through it for screwing on to a bolt as a fastener fix the new pipe and tighten the nuts the final wheel nut was tightened
- ▪ the part at the lower end of the bow of a violin or similar instrument, with a screw for adjusting the tension of the hair.
- 3. informal a crazy or eccentric person she would have written me off as a time-wasting nut 同義詞
- ▪ a person who is excessively interested in or enthusiastic about a specified thing a football nut 同義詞
- 4. informal a person's head he's aiming to break a record by balancing a car on his nut 同義詞
- 5. vulgar slang a man's testicles.
- 6. the fixed ridge on the neck of a stringed instrument over which the strings pass the positioning allows the strings a straight path over the nut
- 1. archaic gather nuts in autumn children would go nutting they had nutted in the woods and fished in the river
- 2. British informal butt (someone) with one's head I thought he was going to nut me in the face