- IPA[ˌəʊl(d) ˈman]
- an elderly male person.；a person's father or a woman's husband or boyfriend
noun: old man, plural noun: old men
- 1. an elderly male person.
- ▪ informal a person's father or a woman's husband or boyfriend when her old man left she moved in with Drummond
- ▪ informal a man in authority over others, especially an employer or commanding officer the old man wants a progress report
- ▪ British informal an affectionate form of address between men or boys are you all right, old man?
- ▪ informal used with a surname instead of Mr old man Roberts
- 2. another term for southernwood