- a device for opening something, especially a container；the first in a series of events, games, or actions
noun: opener, plural noun: openers
- 1. a device for opening something, especially a container a tin opener a letter opener
- 2. informal the first in a series of events, games, or actions Denver stuffed Buffalo 22–7 in the season opener
- ▪ the first goal in a match Bannister equalized after Armstrong's opener for Palace
- ▪ a remark used as an excuse to initiate a conversation we blurted out the obvious opener
- ▪ a batsman who opens the batting.
- ▪ the player who makes the first bid in the auction.