- in circumstances different from those present or considered; or else；in other respects; apart from that
- in a different state or situation
- 1. in circumstances different from those present or considered; or else the collection is a good draw that brings visitors who might not come otherwise I'm not motivated by money, otherwise I would have quit 同義詞
- 2. in other respects; apart from that an otherwise totally black cat with a single white whisker 同義詞
- 3. in a different way he means mischief—it's no good pretending otherwise all the staff were otherwise engaged 同義詞
- ▪ as an alternative the Cosa Nostra, otherwise known as the Brotherhood
- 1. in a different state or situation I would that it were otherwise
otherwise 是用來否定前面設下的條件： All tests shall be performed...the factory default mode if （the test methods are）not stated, otherwise in the test methods. 所有測試在未註明時，應以工廠預設模式來進行...
你注意到的 otherwise 另一種常用法， 基本上，中文翻譯很像： 若非...絕不會... (但是結果還是做...個人他自己若非不得已絕不會搞成那樣 To involve him in something he otherwise would have escaped is... 把他捲入某件他若非不得已絕對會逃開的...
otherwise最接近的中文翻譯應該是"不然" would/could otherwise...也一樣, 而且有"在原始的狀況下"或者"沒有任何(或前半句形容...