- a sudden release of strong emotion；a sudden occurrence of a particular activity
noun: outburst, plural noun: outbursts
- 1. a sudden release of strong emotion an angry outburst from the prime minister
- ▪ a sudden occurrence of a particular activity a wild outburst of applause
- ▪ a volcanic eruption.
- ▪ a sudden emission of energy or particles a very dramatic outburst of neutrons
- a sudden release of strong emotion: “she screamed at him about it one day,” said one source who witnessed the outburst
Oxford American Dictionary