- the number of strokes a first-class player should normally require for a particular hole or course；a par score at a hole
- play (a hole) in par
noun: par, plural noun: pars
- 1. the number of strokes a first-class player should normally require for a particular hole or course Woosnam had advanced from his overnight position of three under par the sixteenth is a par five
- ▪ a par score at a hole a card that showed 16 pars, one eagle, and one birdie
- 2. the face value of a share or other security, as distinct from its market value the 9 per cent unsecured loan stock is redeemable at par par value
- ▪ the recognized value of one country's currency in terms of another's.
- 1. play (a hole) in par he calmly parred the 17th