- a minute portion of matter；the least possible amount
noun: particle, plural noun: particles
- 1. a minute portion of matter tiny particles of dust
- ▪ the least possible amount he agrees without hearing the least particle of evidence
- ▪ another term for subatomic particle
- ▪ a hypothetical object having mass but no physical size.
- 2. (in English) any of the class of words such as in, up, off, over, used with verbs to make phrasal verbs.
- ▪ (in ancient Greek) any of the class of words such as de and ge, used for contrast and emphasis.