- interrupt action or speech briefly；temporarily interrupt the operation of (a process or device)
- a temporary stop in action or speech；a mark over a note or rest that is to be lengthened by an unspecified amount.
verb: pause, 3rd person present: pauses, gerund or present participle: pausing, past tense: paused, past participle: paused
noun: pause, plural noun: pauses
- 1. interrupt action or speech briefly she paused, at a loss for words
- ▪ temporarily interrupt the operation of (a process or device) she had paused a tape on the VCR
- 1. a temporary stop in action or speech she dropped me outside during a brief pause in the rain he chattered away without pause
- ▪ a mark over a note or rest that is to be lengthened by an unspecified amount.
- ▪ a control allowing the temporary interruption of recording, playback, or other process.