- a length or portion of time；a portion of time in the life of a nation, civilization, etc. characterized by the same prevalent features or conditions
- belonging to or characteristic of a past historical time, especially in style or design
noun: period, plural noun: periods
- 1. a length or portion of time he had long periods of depression the period 1977–85 同義詞
- ▪ a portion of time in the life of a nation, civilization, etc. characterized by the same prevalent features or conditions the early medieval period 同義詞
- ▪ a major division of geological time that is a subdivision of an era and is itself subdivided into epochs, corresponding to a system in chronostratigraphy the Cretaceous period
- ▪ one of the set divisions of the day in a school allocated to a lesson or other activity two periods of PE are allocated on the timetable he interviewed the teachers when they had a free period 同義詞
- ▪ each of the intervals into which the playing time of a sporting event is divided the Lightnings ran at the Leafs hard in a very rough first period
- 2. the interval of time between successive occurrences of the same state in an oscillatory or cyclic phenomenon, such as a mechanical vibration, an alternating current, a variable star, or an electromagnetic wave.
- ▪ the time taken by a celestial object to rotate around its axis, or to make one circuit of its orbit.
- ▪ the interval between successive equal values of a periodic function.
- 3. a flow of blood and other material from the lining of the uterus, lasting for several days and occurring in sexually mature women who are not pregnant at intervals of about one lunar month until the onset of menopause she's got her period period pains 同義詞
- 4. North American a punctuation mark (.) used at the end of a sentence or an abbreviation. 同義詞
- ▪ North American informal added to the end of a statement to indicate that no further discussion is possible or desirable he is the sole owner of the trademark, period 同義詞
- 5. a set of elements occupying an entire horizontal row in the periodic table.
- 6. a complex sentence, especially one consisting of several clauses, constructed as part of a formal speech or oration.
- ▪ a complete idea, typically consisting of two or four phrases.
- 1. belonging to or characteristic of a past historical time, especially in style or design a splendid selection of period furniture
...才 我看了一陣子 基本上是沒啥不同 只是 over a 20-year period , over a period of 20 years 這二個比較會在強調20...20年的時間做這個研究 <=用over a 20-year period或over a period of 20 years 會比over 20 years...
...學生就會轉往另一個教室上課程B. 而換教室的緩衝時間叫 passing period, 應該像台灣學校的 "下課10分鐘 (或20分鐘)的時間". 可參考下列網址...
... bet the basal body temperature on Oct 8-9 indicates the ovulation period. Therefore, if your normal cycle spans 28 days, ...