- a length or portion of time；a portion of time in the life of a nation, civilization, etc. characterized by the same prevalent features or conditions
- belonging to or characteristic of a past historical time, especially in style or design
noun: period, plural noun: periods
- 1. a length or portion of time he had long periods of depression the period 1977–85 同義詞
- ▪ a portion of time in the life of a nation, civilization, etc. characterized by the same prevalent features or conditions the early medieval period 同義詞
- ▪ a major division of geological time that is a subdivision of an era and is itself subdivided into epochs, corresponding to a system in chronostratigraphy the Cretaceous period
- ▪ one of the set divisions of the day in a school allocated to a lesson or other activity two periods of PE are allocated on the timetable he interviewed the teachers when they had a free period 同義詞
- ▪ each of the intervals into which the playing time of a sporting event is divided the Lightnings ran at the Leafs hard in a very rough first period
- 2. the interval of time between successive occurrences of the same state in an oscillatory or cyclic phenomenon, such as a mechanical vibration, an alternating current, a variable star, or an electromagnetic wave.
- ▪ the time taken by a celestial object to rotate around its axis, or to make one circuit of its orbit.
- ▪ the interval between successive equal values of a periodic function.
- 3. a flow of blood and other material from the lining of the uterus, occurring in nonpregnant women at intervals of about 28 days between puberty and menopause and typically lasting for a few days she's got her period period pains 同義詞
- 4. North American a punctuation mark (.) used at the end of a sentence or an abbreviation. 同義詞
- ▪ North American informal added to the end of a statement to indicate that no further discussion is possible or desirable he is the sole owner of the trademark, period 同義詞
- 5. a set of elements occupying an entire horizontal row in the periodic table.
- 6. a complex sentence, especially one consisting of several clauses, constructed as part of a formal speech or oration.
- ▪ a complete idea, typically consisting of two or four phrases.
- 1. belonging to or characteristic of a past historical time, especially in style or design a splendid selection of period furniture
...才 我看了一陣子 基本上是沒啥不同 只是 over a 20-year period , over a period of 20 years 這二個比較會在強調20...20年的時間做這個研究 <=用over a 20-year period或over a period of 20 years 會比over 20 years...
...學生就會轉往另一個教室上課程B. 而換教室的緩衝時間叫 passing period, 應該像台灣學校的 "下課10分鐘 (或20分鐘)的時間". 可參考下列網址...
... bet the basal body temperature on Oct 8-9 indicates the ovulation period. Therefore, if your normal cycle spans 28 days, ...