- a length or portion of time；a portion of time in the life of a nation, civilization, etc. characterized by the same prevalent features or conditions
- belonging to or characteristic of a past historical time, especially in style or design
noun: period, plural noun: periods
- 1. a length or portion of time:
he had long periods of depression
the period 1977–85
- 2. a portion of time in the life of a nation, civilization, etc. characterized by the same prevalent features or conditions:
the early medieval period
- 3. a major division of geological time that is a subdivision of an era and is itself subdivided into epochs:
the Cretaceous period
- 4. each of the set divisions of the day in a school allocated to a lesson or other activity:
two periods of PE are allocated on the timetable
he interviewed the teachers when they had a free period
- 5. each of the divisions of the playing time of a sporting event:
the Lightnings ran at the Leafs hard in a very rough first period
- 6. the interval of time between successive occurrences of the same state in an oscillatory or cyclic phenomenon, such as a mechanical vibration, an alternating current, a variable star, or an electromagnetic wave.
- 7. the time taken by a celestial object to rotate about its axis, or to make one circuit of its orbit.
- 8. the interval between successive equal values of a periodic function.
- 9. a flow of blood and other material from the lining of the uterus, lasting for a few days and occurring in sexually mature women who are not pregnant at intervals of about one lunar month until the menopause:
she's got her period
- 10. a punctuation mark (.) used at the end of a sentence or an abbreviation; a full stop.
- 11. added to the end of a statement to indicate that no further discussion is possible or desirable:
he is the sole owner of the trademark, period
- 12. a set of elements occupying a horizontal row in the periodic table.
- 13. a complex sentence, especially one consisting of several clauses, constructed as part of a formal speech or oration.
- 14. a complete idea, typically consisting of two or four phrases.
- 1. belonging to or characteristic of a past historical time, especially in style or design:
an attractive and beautifully modernized period house
a splendid selection of period furniture
...才 我看了一陣子 基本上是沒啥不同 只是 over a 20-year period , over a period of 20 years 這二個比較會在強調20...20年的時間做這個研究 <=用over a 20-year period或over a period of 20 years 會比over 20 years...
...學生就會轉往另一個教室上課程B. 而換教室的緩衝時間叫 passing period, 應該像台灣學校的 "下課10分鐘 (或20分鐘)的時間". 可參考下列網址...
... bet the basal body temperature on Oct 8-9 indicates the ovulation period. Therefore, if your normal cycle spans 28 days, ...