- the central point, pin, or shaft on which a mechanism turns or oscillates.；a person or thing that plays a central part in an activity or organization
- turn on or as if on a pivot；provide (a mechanism) with a pivot; fix (a mechanism) on a pivot.
verb: pivot, 3rd person present: pivots, gerund or present participle: pivoting, past tense: pivoted, past participle: pivoted
noun: pivot, plural noun: pivots
- 1. the central point, pin, or shaft on which a mechanism turns or oscillates. 同義詞
- ▪ a person or thing that plays a central part in an activity or organization the pivot of community life was the chapel 同義詞
- ▪ the person or people about whom a body of troops wheels.
- ▪ a player in a central position in a team sport.
- ▪ a movement in which the player holding the ball may move in any direction with one foot, while keeping the other (the pivot foot) in contact with the floor.
- 1. turn on or as if on a pivot he swung around, pivoting on his heel the sail pivots around the axis of a virtually static mast 同義詞
- ▪ provide (a mechanism) with a pivot; fix (a mechanism) on a pivot.
- ▪ depend on your escape pivots on my disappearing with you 同義詞