- the central point, pin, or shaft on which a mechanism turns or oscillates.；a person or thing that plays a central part in an activity or organization
- turn on or as if on a pivot；provide (a mechanism) with a pivot; fix (a mechanism) on a pivot.
verb: pivot, 3rd person present: pivots, gerund or present participle: pivoting, past tense: pivoted, past participle: pivoted
- 1. the central point, pin, or shaft on which a mechanism turns or oscillates. 同義詞
- ▪ a person or thing that plays a central part in an activity or organization the pivot of community life was the chapel 同義詞
- ▪ the person or people about whom a body of troops wheels.
- ▪ a player in a central position in a team sport.
- ▪ a movement in which the player holding the ball may move in any direction with one foot, while keeping the other (the pivot foot) in contact with the floor.
- 1. turn on or as if on a pivot the sail pivots around the axis of the mast he swung around, pivoting on his heel 同義詞
- ▪ provide (a mechanism) with a pivot; fix (a mechanism) on a pivot.
- ▪ depend on your escape pivots on my disappearing with you 同義詞
- 2. (especially in a business context) completely change the way in which one does something the teams performed exceptionally by quickly pivoting to meet the increased demand from our customers she sold off her equipment and pivoted back to her original model of running classes
- ▪ begin to run or manage (something) in a completely different way practice creativity in pivoting your business from its current platforms to new ways of service deliveries Mike had a passion for cooking and pivoted his career into food service
- the central point, pin, or shaft on which a mechanism turns or oscillates.
- turn on or as if on a pivot: the sail pivots around the axis of the mast the axles pivoted about the motors