- cause to feel happy and satisfied；give satisfaction
- used in polite requests or questions；used to add urgency and emotion to a request
verb: please, 3rd person present: pleases, gerund or present participle: pleasing, past tense: pleased, past participle: pleased
- 1. cause to feel happy and satisfied he arranged a fishing trip to please his son it pleased him to be seen with someone in the news
- ▪ give satisfaction she was quiet and eager to please
- ▪ satisfy aesthetically he was wearing a buttonhole that did not quite please the eye 同義詞 make happy, give pleasure to, make someone pleased/glad/content, make someone feel good, delight, ... 更多反義詞 displease, annoy
- 2. take only one's own wishes into consideration in deciding how to act or proceed this is the first time in ages that I can just please myself
- ▪ wish or desire to do something feel free to wander around as you please 同義詞 like, want, wish, desire, see/think fit, ... 更多
- ▪ dated it is someone's choice to do something instead of attending the meeting, it pleased him to go off hunting
- 1. used in polite requests or questions please address letters to the Editor what type of fish is this, please?
- ▪ used to add urgency and emotion to a request please, please come home!
- ▪ used to agree politely to a request ‘May I ring you at home?’ ‘Please do.’
- ▪ used in polite or emphatic acceptance of an offer ‘Would you like a drink?’ ‘Yes, please.’
- ▪ used to ask someone to stop doing something of which the speaker disapproves Rita, please—people are looking
- ▪ used to express incredulity or irritation Oh please, is that meant to be a serious argument?