- an opening in the side of a ship for boarding or loading.；a porthole
noun: port, plural noun: ports
- 1. an opening in the side of a ship for boarding or loading.
- ▪ a porthole the cabin has rectangular ports set just below sheer in each quarter
- ▪ an opening in the body of an aircraft or in a wall or armored vehicle through which a gun may be fired; a gun port.
- ▪ an opening for the passage of steam, liquid, or gas loss of fuel from the exhaust port
- 2. a socket in a computer network into which a device can be plugged a communications port for optional cellular and other wireless modules
- 3. Scottish a gate or gateway, especially into a walled city.