- a sign or warning that something, especially something momentous or calamitous, is likely to happen；future significance
noun: portent, plural noun: portents
- 1. a sign or warning that something, especially something momentous or calamitous, is likely to happen they believed that wild birds in the house were portents of death JFK's political debut was a portent of the fame to come 同義詞
- ▪ future significance an omen of grave portent for the tribe 同義詞
- 2. literary an exceptional or wonderful person or thing what portent can be greater than a pious notary?
- a sign or warning that a momentous or calamitous event is likely to happen: many birds are regarded as being portents of death
 thus interpreted the portent and spoke: “In time those who here issue forth... to pass in accordance with these signs, portents  auspicious yet filled with ill. And ...
the sight of ghost swooping form the smoke-wreathed skies amongst countless thousands of carrion birds is a portent of terrible 在數以千計數不清的吃腐肉的小鳥之間，鬼飛撲的景像形成的煙霧盤繞著天空，是可怕的預兆