- a sign or warning that something, especially something momentous or calamitous, is likely to happen；future significance
noun: portent, plural noun: portents
- 1. a sign or warning that something, especially something momentous or calamitous, is likely to happen they believed that wild birds in the house were portents of death JFK's political debut was a portent of the fame to come 同義詞
- ▪ future significance an omen of grave portent for the tribe 同義詞
- 2. literary an exceptional or wonderful person or thing what portent can be greater than a pious notary?
- a sign or warning that a momentous or calamitous event is likely to happen: many birds are regarded as being portents of death