- consisting in or characterized by the presence rather than the absence of distinguishing features.；expressing or implying affirmation, agreement, or permission
- a desirable or constructive quality or attribute；a positive photographic image, especially one printed from a negative
noun: positive, plural noun: positives
- 1. consisting in or characterized by the presence rather than the absence of distinguishing features.
- ▪ expressing or implying affirmation, agreement, or permission the company received a positive response from investors 同義詞 反義詞
- ▪ (of the results of a test or experiment) indicating that a certain substance or condition is present or exists the positive results of a pregnancy test a positive test for Down's syndrome 同義詞 反義詞
- ▪ (of a person) having a specified condition, or showing traces of a specified substance in their body a player had tested positive for cocaine use he is HIV-positive
- 2. constructive, optimistic, or confident there needs to be a positive approach to young offenders adopt a positive outlook on life 同義詞 反義詞
- ▪ showing progress or improvement the prospects for positive growth in the economy do not look good 同義詞 反義詞
- 3. with no possibility of doubt; definite he made a positive identification of a glossy ibis 同義詞 反義詞
- ▪ convinced in one's opinion; certain ‘You are sure it was the same man?’ ‘Positive!’ said George 同義詞 反義詞
- ▪ informal downright; complete (used for emphasis) it's a positive delight to see you 同義詞
- 4. (of a quantity) greater than zero.
- 5. containing, producing, or denoting an electric charge opposite to that carried by electrons each battery has a positive and negative terminal
- 6. (of a photographic image) showing lights and shades or colours true to the original.
- 7. denoting the primary degree of an adjective or adverb, which expresses simple quality without qualification.
- 8. dealing only with matters of fact and experience; not speculative or theoretical.
- 9. relating to or denoting any of the air or fire signs, considered active in nature.
- 1. a desirable or constructive quality or attribute take your weaknesses and translate them into positives to manage your way out of recession, accentuate the positive
- 2. a positive photographic image, especially one printed from a negative the photographic process involves separate runs with the red, green, and blue separation positives
- 3. a result of a test or experiment indicating that a certain substance or condition is present or exists let us look at the distribution of those positives
- 4. the part of an electric circuit that is at a higher electrical potential than another point designated as having zero electrical potential try linking the signal input directly to positive
- 5. a number greater than zero.
- 6. an adjective or adverb in the positive degree.