- a body of men employed to enlist men forcibly into service in the army or navy.
- forcibly enlist (someone) into service in the army or navy；force someone to do something
noun: press gang, plural noun: press gangs
verb: press-gang, 3rd person present: press-gangs, gerund or present participle: press-ganging, past tense: press-ganged, past participle: press-ganged
- 1. historical a body of men employed to enlist men forcibly into service in the army or navy.
- 1. historical forcibly enlist (someone) into service in the army or navy a press-ganged navy
- ▪ historical force someone to do something we press-ganged Simon into playing
... saw the boy who stole my bag with that gang of trouble makers last night - well, birds of a feather flock... of Idioms © Cambridge University Press 1998
...firm military officers fighting a hundred battles of Wu Gang of impressive strength, soldier who has look that caught the spirit differently...