- an attempt to make something that is not the case appear true；a false display of feelings, attitudes, or intentions
noun: pretence, plural noun: pretences
- 1. an attempt to make something that is not the case appear true:
his anger is masked by a pretence that all is well
they have finally abandoned their secrecy and pretence
- 2. a false display of feelings, attitudes, or intentions:
he asked me questions without any pretence at politeness
- 3. the practice of inventing imaginary situations in play:
before the age of two, children start to engage in pretence
- 4. affected and ostentatious speech and behaviour:
they have always avoided preciousness and pretence
- 5. a claim to have a particular skill or quality:
he was quick to disclaim any pretence to superiority
...least 27 times. Eventually you get up, throw on some clotheswithout the pretence that it's actually an outfit and slink into work, asif you've been there...
...few even bother其實是few people even bother，而bother在此，是費心的意思。make any pretense of having more idealistic motives是假裝有任何理想化的動機。 ...
... it real. 3. fulfill what was promised in a joke 4.Pretence fway become reality. 5.say in fun what is carried out in earnest 也...